Church of the Asunción de Nuestra Señora

Church of the Asunción de Nuestra Señora


The Parish Church of the Asunción de Nuestra Señora, built at the beginning of the 17th century, although it has been extended at different times until its current configuration, it has a Latin cross floor plan, with a dome and side naves, and is made of masonry, in some areas plastered and in others visible, except on the west side where the tower and main doorway are located, which is mainly made of ashlars.

The original parish church had a single nave, with its tower and bell tower still to be erected, and was dedicated to Nuestra Señora de la Concepción. During the 17th century, several side chapels were built by pious founders, the single nave was extended, the altar of Nuestra Señora de la Paz was placed at the chancel, and they started to build the tower, which was completed in 1689.

In the 18th century, the nave was enlarged with the transept and its annexed rooms, which gave it its current Latin cross shape. In addition, the Baptistery chapel was built (1740) and the altar of Nuestra Señora de la Paz was moved to one of the chapels. The main altarpiece was also built in this century (1776) and Nuestra Señora de la Asunción was made patron saint of the church.

In 1936 the corner of the Baptistery Chapel was demolished in order to widen the entrance to Doña Crisanta Moreno Street from the Plaza de España. During the civil war, practically all the images and altarpieces were looted and burnt, as well as the parish archive, and the bells were donated to the Ministerio de Guerra (Ministry of War) to make shrapnel in 1937.

At the end of the war, it was reopened for worship and at the same time various restoration works were carried out on its interior, all of this together with the purchase of new images and ornaments, and new bells, in a large majority of cases by means of subscription and popular donation.


<iframe src="!1m18!1m12!1m3!1d3093.721370049541!2d-3.02281928471284!3d39.15831853912697!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1!3m3!1m2!1s0xd68fc7e47ffd49f%3A0x71f114f6b8c262b4!2sPlaza+Espa%C3%B1a%2C+5%2C+13700+Tomelloso%2C+Cdad.+Real%2C+Spain!5e0!3m2!1sen!2scl!4v1538529779793" width="600" height="370" frameborder="0" style="border:0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Useful information:

    • Address: Plaza de España, 5 | Tomelloso
    • Opening hour: from 09:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (Summer 9:00 p.m.)
    • Price: Free
    • Contact: Tomelloso Tourist Office

Recommended plan for…

<div class="icons-fichas-wrapper"><!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] --> <div class="row four-cols-row-1"><!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] --> <div class="col-md-3 col-sm-2 col-xs-12 col-1"><!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] --> <a href="#"><img src="/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/icon_familia-1.png" alt="Familia Icon"></a><!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] --> <h5>Family</h5><!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] --> </div><!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] --> <div class="col-md-3 col-sm-2 col-xs-12 col-2"><!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] --> <a href="#"><img src="/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/icon_sibarita-1.png" alt="Sibarita Icon"></a><!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] --> <h5>Sybarite</h5><!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] --> </div><!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] --> <div class="col-md-3 col-sm-2 col-xs-12 col-3"><!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] --> <a href="#"><img src="/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/icon_natural-1.png" alt="Natural Icon"></a><!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] --> <h5>Natural</h5><!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] --> </div><!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] --> <div class="col-md-3 col-sm-2 col-xs-12 col-4"><!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] --> <a href="#"><img src="/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/icon_cultura-1.png" alt="Cultural Icon"></a><!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] --> <h5>Cultural</h5><!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] --> </div><!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] --> </div><!-- [et_pb_line_break_holder] --></div>

Find out more about Tomelloso

More Plans on the La Mancha Wine Route

Subscribe to our Newsletter!

Subscribe to our Newsletter!